As of today I have officially been blogging for a year! I know that still makes me a newcomer in the blogging world, but we’ve all heard the statistic that most bloggers quit blogging after about 3 month, so I think that gives me the all clear to pat myself on the back a little. It’s a statistic I’m certainly glad I wasn’t a part of since I ambitiously paid for 2 years of hosting up front!
A year ago when I started this blog I had absolutely no idea what I was doing (now I have a very small idea of what I’m doing). I started it because a. I love to travel, b. a shaman told my mom I should be a writer, and c. I hate being by myself and needed something to occupy my time. Mags On The Move has filled all of those criteria and then some.
This has been a crazy year and blogging has opened so many doors and taken me around the world. Sure, I could have made it to some of these places without my blog, but it’s certainly made for a great excuse to travel.
It may be silly to do a year in review for a blog that’s only been around for a year, but if we’re really being honest the whole act of blogging is a bit self indulgent. Don’t get me wrong, I do feel like I have valuable information to add to the community, but I also really need you guys to like me! So here it goes…
- How it all started, The Epcot International Food and Wine Festival! Where better to start a travel blog than your back yard, and an excuse to try EVERYTHING at the Food and Wine Festival. Why not? It’s come full circle as the Food and Wine Fest is happening again right now, but I covered it ad nauseam last year and there are not many exciting changes this year.
- A journey to the most bizarre festival in the deep south. The Annual Oliver Hardy Festival in Harlem, GA. What a weird time.
- I was nominated for a Very Inspiring Blogger Award, Destination Memory Lane Challenge, and 4 Liebster Awards by my peers. I’ve not been able to respond to them all yet, but I’m beyond flattered! I put a lot of time and hard work into this blog and it’s encouraging to know someone is reading and appreciates it.
- Of course, I’ve visited Shreveport, LA. A really unique place full of my crazy family. Reportedly the coolest city ever, but that’s open to interpretation.
- Disney Cruise! I know the travel community at large frowns on the idea of a manufactured vacation like a cruise, but I just love them. They’re not the most culturally authentic, but they are certainly fun. And my posts about Disney Cruise Line have been my most popular, so I have to think other people must agree.
- This is the big one. I went to Africa! It’s been something I’ve wanted to tick off the list for as long as I remember. In fact, it’s been such a life goal for me that I’m feeling a little lost now that I don’t have that to look forward to. Time to start making a new list I guess! I got destroyed by mosquitos and kidnapped by strangers, but I would do it over again in a heart beat.
- I’ve wanted to go to Norway ever since my Disney College Program when I fell in love with the ride Maelstrom. I finally ticked that one off the list too, as well as Denmark. I was lucky enough to be there during the summer solstice and experience the midnight sun, which was too cool
- Last but certainly not least, I attended my first blogger event (and first time in Cancun) at Tbex. It was so cool to be able to meet other travelers and people I’d been talking to via social media for a while. I also got to participate in my first FAM trip. It was so encouraging and inspiring and I can’t wait for next years conference.
And for those of you that are new here and haven’t been around for the whole year. Here are my top 5 most popular post of the past year!
Thank you guys for sticking with me for my first year on this adventure and hopefully you (and I) will be around for many more. I’m beyond appreciative of my readers for all of the wonderful feedback, shares, and social media love I’ve received. Seriously, you guys are awesome and you’ve stuck around while I’ve learned the ropes, so I promise next year will be even better!